Restore Our Democracy
American democracy is under threat. We have to get big money out of our elections, end partisan gerrymandering, and institute term limits.
I’ve been proud to run a campaign that is 100% funded by individual donations - no PAC money, no pollsters, no consultants, just doing the work of knocking on doors and listening to people and running this campaign in the most grassroots, fundamental, and true-hearted way I know how. That kind of person-to-person connection is the way democracy should work in this country - not slick TV ads, and not billionaires buying votes. And that’s why I’m committed to open-to-the-public, once-a-month town hall meetings back home in the district, so that I’m accountable to the community whom I want to represent in Congress. We have to get corrupt dark money out of our elections, end partisan gerrymandering, and institute term limits. And we should be making it easier for Texans to vote, not harder. We must fully restore the enforcement provision of the Voting Rights Act and institute automatic voter registration.
My commitments include:
• Holding once-a-month, no-holds-barred, open-to-all-comers public town hall meetings;
• Filing bills that require any 501(c) entity spending on *any* political activity that mentions a federal candidate or that's intended to influence an election to be disclosed;
• Taxing the political activities of 501(c) entities that spend beyond a certain threshold on political activities;
• Opposing any and all attempts to repeal the Johnson Amendment, which restricts 501(c)(3) tax-deductible organizations, including churches, from engaging in political activity;
• Expanding the current ban on campaign contributions and independent expenditures by foreign nationals isn't to foreign-owned and controlled domestic corporations;
• Restoring the enforcement provision of the Voting Rights Act, and instituting automatic voter registration;
• Calling for a bipartisan, 9/11-style commission to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.